Some deliciously creamy and cold Coconut Tapioca Pudding. Summer’s favorite dessert. I made it gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, and vegan. It is actually really easy to make, just need to be little careful stirring while it cooks.
COCONUT TAPIOCA PUDDING WITH PASSION FRUIT AND PINEAPPLECourse: Breakfast, DessertDifficulty: Easy
1/3 cup small pearl tapioca (60 g) (I used green ones now. You can usually find tapioca pearls in the baking section of the grocery store, do not use instant tapioca!)
2 cups coconut cream (475 ml)
1/4 cup of tapioca syrup (70 g) or sweetener of choice
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
12-14 tbsp pulp of passion fruits (6-8 pieces of passion fruits)
1 cup sliced pineapple
- In a medium bowl, cover tapioca with 1 cup of coconut milk. Let soak for 15 to 20 minutes or until the granules expand slightly. Avoid over-soaking or the tapioca will not be able to hold its shape.
- In a pot with a lid, combine soaked tapioca, tapioca syrup, and the remaining 1 cup coconut cream. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the tapioca nearly cooked, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Do not overcook: at this point, the tapioca should be thick, and individual pearls should be clear on the outside and have a very small dot of white in the middle.
- When the tapioca turns soft and a little gooey, turn off the heat and place the lid on tight. Let it sit at least 10 minutes. The residual heat inside the tapioca will finish turning all of the seeds soft and translucent.
- Remove the lid and stir in vanilla extract. Allow the tapioca to cool.
- Distribute individual servings of tapioca mixture into small bowls and refrigerate until it’s cold; it will thicken and gel together.
- To serve, pour a thin layer of passion fruit pulp over the top of each serving. Garnish with sliced pineapples.